Since originally posting about the small things in life that make me happy, I have been noticing them all over the place. This is a very good thing, as being mindful and finding the positives in life have a way of making life more pleasant and emotionally fuller.
In fact I’ve been mulling over these small things so much that I’m toying with the idea of making the small things a regular feature of the blog. While I wrestle with that momentous decision, I would like to offer you five more from the depths of my heart.
1. Blowing the fluff off a dandelion. Yes, I know these are weeds, and yes, I know that this is how you spread their seeds, but something about that whoosh of air releasing those soft white puffs into a million delicate paratroopers is just magical.
2. Pitching a penny into a fountain and making a wish. Growing up we NEVER did this. A penny saved is a penny earned, after all. However, taking the time to stop for a moment and give some thought to my wishes is worth more than the cost of the penny to me, and sharing that moment with my son is far more valuable than that.
3. The scent of lemons. It takes me right back to junior high school and Love’s Fresh Lemon fragrance. I never did like the Baby Soft scent, though.
4. Pop-up books. They are so clever and engaging and beg to be enjoyed again and again.
5. The text I get from my sweetheart each day telling me to have a good day and reminding me that he loves me. Each day it’s slightly different and he’s made up a million cute little names for me that are only used in those messages. They are silly and sweet and fun, and they just make me happy.
What small things make you happy? Surround yourself with happiness and maybe it will catch on.