Since originally posting about the small things in life that make me happy, I have been noticing them all over the place. This is a very good thing, as being mindful and finding the positives in life have a way of making life more pleasant and emotionally fuller.
In fact I’ve been mulling over these small things so much that I’m toying with the idea of making the small things a regular feature of the blog. While I wrestle with that momentous decision, I would like to offer you five more from the depths of my heart.
1. Blowing the fluff off a dandelion. Yes, I know these are weeds, and yes, I know that this is how you spread their seeds, but something about that whoosh of air releasing those soft white puffs into a million delicate paratroopers is just magical.
2. Pitching a penny into a fountain and making a wish. Growing up we NEVER did this. A penny saved is a penny earned, after all. However, taking the time to stop for a moment and give some thought to my wishes is worth more than the cost of the penny to me, and sharing that moment with my son is far more valuable than that.
3. The scent of lemons. It takes me right back to junior high school and Love’s Fresh Lemon fragrance. I never did like the Baby Soft scent, though.
4. Pop-up books. They are so clever and engaging and beg to be enjoyed again and again.
5. The text I get from my sweetheart each day telling me to have a good day and reminding me that he loves me. Each day it’s slightly different and he’s made up a million cute little names for me that are only used in those messages. They are silly and sweet and fun, and they just make me happy.
What small things make you happy? Surround yourself with happiness and maybe it will catch on.
November 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm
Love the gratitudes and positive energy in this post.
November 14, 2013 at 3:22 pm
Aw, shucks. 🙂
November 14, 2013 at 2:43 pm
This is great! I could think of heaps of small things. The smell of rain on a sunny day. Waking up 5 minutes before your alarm goes off. The glug of the first pour of wine from a just opened bottle. I could go on…..
November 14, 2013 at 3:22 pm
Oh, do go on! In fact why not write a post? If you do, link it back though. I love reading everyone’s ideas. 🙂
November 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm
I love, SO MUCH, blowing the fluff off of a dandelion. It is a simple please, a small thing, but it feels great in the moment.
I also love a warm blanket on a cold night, hot tea, and a good book.
November 14, 2013 at 6:48 pm
Sometimes you just have to remember the small things. I like your list. Maybe I will make a list of my own. Thanks for the idea.
November 14, 2013 at 7:55 pm
I’d love to see your list. 🙂
November 15, 2013 at 12:32 pm
What a delightful post. Here’s some of mine:
Listening to the rain on the windows when I’m cosy and warm and tucked up in bed.
Being tripped up by my cat in the morning. Annoying yet funny at the same time.
Birds singing (they are either saying “get off my land” or “hello darling”)
Reading (non fiction).
November 15, 2013 at 1:15 pm
Fantastic! So glad you shared yours. 🙂
November 16, 2013 at 10:43 am
I’m grateful for a small thing right now, getting to watch my seven year old fall to sleep. Sigh. I also love the smell of lemons. And oranges too! Picked a fresh grapefruit off a tree today and ate it. Grateful to live somewhere I can do that. Saw a burst of wind become a dust tornado, the kind the wraps up dust and spins it around. Grateful for lazy Saturdays and beautiful weather and time to read mindful blogs like yours
November 16, 2013 at 10:53 am
Thank you for adding your simple things to the conversation, and thank you for the compliment as well. 🙂