Did you have one of those little plastic transistor radios as a kid? The kind that has a single earphone? Maybe it was a prize for selling a bunch of chocolate bars or perhaps it was a Bat Mitzvah or First Communion gift.
Just about everyone I knew had one, and many of us would sneak them into bed at night to listen to the radio on that single earphone after lights out. We would listen to WKBW or WGR55 for the pop hits of the day. A few that take me back are:
1. Run, Joey, Run . A horrible song, really, but I loved it for some reason.
2. Delta Dawn. I thought it was very deep.
3. A Horse With No Name . Another deep song.
4. Lady Marmalade. Scandalous. And a catchy tune too.
5. Tie A Yellow Ribbon. Back in those days it was about a guy being released from prison, not a hero’s homecoming.
Are there any songs that take you back to a simpler time?
January 9, 2014 at 5:51 pm
Dr. Demento on a ladybug shaped radio that I got for Christmas. Single earplug. But when the cord finally gave out on the earplug I’d just cram it into my pillow and lay my head right on it. In the morning I’d sing those crazy songs on the bus to the entertainment or bewilderment of whoever was riding near the back of the bus.
January 9, 2014 at 5:55 pm
Oh my gosh, I remember Dr. Demento! Fantastic, Tammy! Thanks for the memory. 🙂