I bring you this update with a belly full of ice cream. I’ve been on a sweets binge lately, and it’s not good.
I’ve also been kinda sorta sick for about a month now, and it’s making me feel a lot like a slug. Yes, I’ve been to the doctor, and he thinks it’s viral, but it just keeps hanging around. UGH. So I just keep hanging around and waking myself up at night coughing and sniffling and then I feel like a zombie during the day. The whole thing is rather unfortunate. And annoying. And getting OLD.
As I was feeling sorry for myself, it occurred to me that I haven’t really been keeping track of my challenges, so maybe it’s time to revisit them. Here they are, in no particular order:
1. Stay away from Starbucks – Generally still accomplishing this one. I did have a week a while back where I went more than once, and that got me to go cold turkey again, so overall I haven’t been there much in 2015.
2. Eat more fruits and vegetables – Hmm, not so great, but not so terrible. I used to go days on end without any produce passing my lips, but now I generally try to have at least ONE fruit or vegetable a day. I know it’s not much, but it’s still better than nothing. I need to work on this one.
3. Stay away from the drive-thru – Overall I’ve done well with this one too. I’ve gone through a couple of times for a quick breakfast, but not nearly as much as in the past. We’ve been making a lot more meals at home and not eating out so much, so this one is pretty much a victory.
4. One Soda per Day – Most of the time I adhere to this one, but sometimes I don’t. Most of the time, though, I do. As the weather gets warmer I have to make sure that I bring enough water bottles to school, though, because I get really thirsty!
5. Move More – Fail. I’m a slug. A couch potato. A lazy butt. I don’t want to exercise. I don’t want to get outside and enjoy the gorgeous weather we’ve been having. I want to stay in bed and read, or better yet, sleep. UGH. Must. Shake. This. Cold.
So there you have it, some successes, some failures, and a lot of stuff in the middle, as usual. What are your challenges, and how are you doing with them?
March 13, 2015 at 1:48 pm
I’m into my second week of something similar. I thought it was a bad cold until my doctor gave me a plethora of pills and potions and I feel a BIT better.
Can you sneak in the veggies somehow? Like pasta sauce with a tonne of garlic, onions and spinach? Sneak some finely chopped celery and carrots in there? Maybe some shredded zucchini or some peeled and chopped eggplant for some texture that will blend right in with ground beef? Maybe some veggie and lentil soup? I should send you some soup, I sneak a tonne of veggies into everything I make…even meat loaf 😉
I would argue that sleep is just as important as hitting the gym right now so give yourself a wee break on that one. Personally I am planning a pretty sedate weekend to conquer this cold. I just don’t have time for this lingering crap 😉
Keep up the good work!
– the Goddess
March 13, 2015 at 3:31 pm
All excellent ideas. My sweetheart, however, is a vegetable purist. He wants them either plain or in smoothies (gag) or not at all. I’m more of a “sneak them in with other stuff so you don’t notice them as much” type. Soup is a perfect idea. He could choke that down, and I love the old Weight Watchers zero-point cabbage soup. I used to make it all the time. Thanks for giving me the idea, and as always, thanks for the encouragement.