I feel crummy. I’m going to the doctor later today. I tried to nap, but I couldn’t fall asleep. So here I am, thinking back on all those childhood doctor’s visits. I got sick a lot as a kid. Here are some of my memories of doctor’s visits (sorry if some are a repeat, my brain is a little fuzzy right now).
1. Highlights Magazine. I couldn’t believe how naughty that Goofus character was and how good Gallant was. My favorite part of the magazine was the hidden pictures page.
2. A lollipop at the end of the visit. My current doctor’s office still has them, although theirs are sugar free.
3. The time my pediatrician told me there was a bunny rabbit inside my ear and that’s why it hurt so much. I didn’t believe him, but it made the ear infection easier to bear.
4. The absolute terror I felt when I knew I was going to get a shot. My son handled that particular childhood trauma so much better than I did, but at 15 he still dreads them.
5. The nurse in her starched uniform complete with the little white cap. I have no problem with nurses in scrubs, doctors too, but something about that nurse’s uniform inspired confidence.
January 30, 2014 at 11:49 am
My doctor gave jellybeans instead of lollipops. You got to pick 4, and he gave you a Kleenex in which to wrap them. I always took one red, one orange, one yellow, and one pink. Never did like the black and green ones 🙂
January 30, 2014 at 11:51 am
What a neat little memory. I like green just fine, but I’m with you on the black. And what’s up with the white ones? They remind me of flowers.
January 30, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Oh I remember those Highlights magazines too! My mother in law just gave us a few for my daughter to read 🙂 Hope you’re getting plenty of rest! Get well soon!
January 30, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Thanks LeSha, just got home from the doctor’s office. It’s bronchitis. Phooey. Resting as much as I can. I hope your little sweeties enjoys Grandma’s Highlights! 🙂
January 30, 2014 at 12:54 pm
I had forgotten all about the lollipops I use to get after a doctor’s visit. Thanks for reminding me. I hope you feel better soon. HUGS
January 30, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Thanks. Medicine is on the way, so I should be up and at ’em soon. 🙂
January 30, 2014 at 3:13 pm
January 30, 2014 at 3:13 pm
Feel better! Thanks for the memory of Highlights with the hidden pictures- I LOVED those! I hated when I was called in and hadn’t had a chance to find them all!
January 30, 2014 at 11:22 pm
I know, they were sort of addicting. 🙂
January 30, 2014 at 4:12 pm
I do believe the nurse’s uniform inspired confidence as it was so much more professional looking than the ill-fitting scrubs nurses wear now.
January 30, 2014 at 11:23 pm
I think you’re right, but honestly, I’m glad I don’t have to dress as professionally as those who came before me. Comfort is important too. 🙂
January 31, 2014 at 5:42 am
January 31, 2014 at 5:44 am
On the mend, thanks. 🙂
January 31, 2014 at 9:30 am
Lots of kale and also dark berries! Throw them in a smoothie and you’ll feel the germs dying off! 🙂 Feel better soon.
January 31, 2014 at 4:05 pm
Oh Nancy, have you read my blog? Kale? I can do blueberries. That should help some, right? 🙂
January 31, 2014 at 4:27 pm
Haha! The berries will disguise the kale! 🙂