You, my loyal readers, know that health, exercise, and wellness are lofty goals of mine. However, I’m a rather sedentary creature at heart. I have, however, had some success with some types of exercise. Here are a few of my hits and misses through the years.
1. Swimming- I have been a water person as long as I can remember. Swimming lessons at the pool club paid off. I even used to life guard. I still enjoy swimming as my favorite form of exercise.
2. Water Aerobics – Back in the life guard days I used to teach this class to seniors. I loved their energy, and I loved doing the class. Again, this is exercise I still find enjoyable.
3. Walking – Whether its in a park, around the block, or on the treadmill, I can usually handle a walk.
4. Bellydancing – Ok, I pretty much suck at this, but I really enjoy it. Shout out to the Goddess for introducing me to this one.
5. Stairmaster – Even the name sounds awful. I felt enslaved by this piece of equipment, but dammit I climbed!
6. Volleyball – Way way way back I enjoyed this sport enough to join a league or two. Nothing serious, but for me a milestone!
7. In Line Skates – Mine were from a discount store. My commitment wasn’t that deep. My balance wasn’t that good. Easy come, easy go.
8. Aerobic Dance – Yes, I did the grapevine to a pulsating Eurythmics beat in full regalia. I had the pink and grey chevron striped leotard, the Reebok high tops, and of course leg warmers. I also had two left feet.
9. Bike Riding – This was my main form of transportation as a kid and teen, and I logged a lot of miles. Over the years I’ve ridden now and then, but frankly it hurts my hands and bottom to ride, which makes me very sad.
10. Hula – This is my newest form of movement. I hesitate to call it exercise the way I’ve been moving, but when I find the right DVD I know it will be a workout!
February 6, 2014 at 6:34 am
You totally inspired me. I am grabbing my daughter’s hula hoop pronto!
February 6, 2014 at 6:37 am
Fun! I never could get the hang on hula hooping. Or cartwheels. 🙂
February 6, 2014 at 7:02 am
I think we may have shared the pink and gray chevron leotard complete with leg warmers. I was an aerobics beast back in the day. My knees hurt just thinking about it now 😉 These days I’m happy for my yoga and a walk or a bike ride but I suppose I could dig out the Wii fit and do a little hula…..hooping that is 😉
February 6, 2014 at 7:47 am
I think mixing it up is key. Of course when you only exercise a couple of times a month, every workout is brand spanking new.
February 6, 2014 at 10:34 am
Everything about this made me laugh hard! You and I are “exercise” soul mates.
February 6, 2014 at 3:30 pm
February 6, 2014 at 3:38 pm
And I can’t remember if I told you – this is my new page. – Mama
February 6, 2014 at 6:56 pm
Glad you stopped by and let me know. xo
February 6, 2014 at 8:00 am
Somebody else suggested belly dancing to me recently (heck, it may have been you). I may have to actually look into it now!
February 6, 2014 at 3:28 pm
I don’t think it was me, but it is fun. I just do the DVD in my family room, but I know there are some fabulous classes out there for the more social amongst us. 🙂
February 8, 2014 at 7:23 am
Great Post! You really bring out the fun side of exercising !