In keeping with the ten things theme, here are a few interesting (to me anyway) bits of information about my mother.
1. Her first job was at Sears folding underwear. To this day she doesn’t shop at Sears. I think she holds a grudge.
2. Her parents, hardworking immigrants, gave her a car at age sixteen.
4. My mother used to be a sun worshipper. Did I mention that my dad was a dermatologist?
5. My mother used to be late for everything. I was always the last kid to be picked up from things. Now she’s habitually early. Weird.
6. My mother enjoys taking her 5 grandchildren out to lunch. I think it’s because she steals their french fries.
7. My mother’s favorite mug features a photo of my son and my niece when they were quite small. She drinks hot water from it. I’m not kidding.
8. My mother LOVES Zumba.
9. My mother has always had the most beautiful gardens, beginning when she was a young bride with a tiny yard.
10. My mother refused to give up on my father in the last years of his life, when he was terribly sick. She hired around the clock help, put a hospital bed in the family room, and wouldn’t hear a word about placing him in a nursing home. “He took care of me my whole life, now I’m taking care of him,” she would tell people. I never realized how strong she was until then.