(Originally published July 1, 2013)
Here are a few random and not so random thoughts of why being fat is a sucky thing. A lot of them are totally obvious, but there might be a few on here that you’ve never heard anyone say or maybe you haven’t even thought about them. In no particular order, I give you lots of reasons why being fat sucks.
1. Huffing and puffing with no intent to blow anyone’s house down.
2. The look you get at the doctor’s office when you head for the scale, even if, as in my case, all the staff are amazing and kind. Even if you don’t get the look from them, you imagine it in your head.
3. Getting in and out of your boyfriend’s Mustang is a chore.
4. Overheating and then feeling like a sweaty pig.
5. Having trouble keeping all your nooks and crannies clean and fresh.
6. Actually worrying about whether wall mounted commodes are fastened securely enough.
7. Never being able to use the tray table on the airplane because it forms a downward angle as it rests against your belly.
8. Speaking of airplane, living in fear of the seatbelt extender. I haven’t had to use one yet, but the last flight I took gave me a good scare.
9. Sitting very carefully or choosing to stand if furniture doesn’t seem to be sturdy enough.
10. People stare at you and are mean sometimes. They are.
11. Stuff is too small for you. All kinds of stuff that you might not expect, like boots that don’t fit over your calves or watches that have straps that are too short.
12. Trimming your toenails is like an Olympic event. Even tying shoes can be a real challenge.
13. People who care about you give you all sorts of well meaning advice and even give you newspaper clippings just to remind you about how dangerous and awful it is to be fat.
14. You take medications for things that you wouldn’t need to deal with if you weren’t hauling around all the extra weight.
15. Buying clothes. ‘Nuff said.
16. Not being able to ride all the rides at the carnival or amusement park.
17. Not being able to go horseback riding (but really, did you ever see Bonanza? Hoss was bigger than I am!).
18. Not being able to reach the top of the trail when hiking.
19. Feeling overwhelmed and “less than” when in fact I’m “more than.”
20. Sometimes it’s hard to remember to be kind and good to myself.
Feel free to add your own, after all the more we can keep these in mind, the more likely we’ll be to banish them forever!